Monday, April 11, 2011

Reading Response 12

Falling Water
This reading response was very interesting to me because it it on Falling Water.  This is a good topic for me to explore and learn more about because it is a place where I actually got to visit and see in person.  Therefor the stuff that I learn about it, I feel like I can relate and actually visualize it since I actually saw it in person.


-- it was designed in 1935
-- was for Edgar J. Kaufmann and his family
-- used for their family weekend and summer retreat home
-- on Bear Run 
-- in Mill Run Pennsylvania
-- made of reinforced concrete
-- had overhanging cantilevered terraces
-- built right on top of the waterfall
-- has a stair case in living room leading down to the actual water
-- was known as "organic architecture"
-- was built into the site instead of on it
-- has rustic, horizontally coursed yellowish stones
-- also has smooth, stuccoed surfaces on balconies and rooflines
-- windows hidden in recesses
-- indoor-outdoor rooms were created
-- rock ledges rise up into the house
-- these appear like ancient ruins
-- site is very remote and secluded in the woods
-- separate servants' quarter and garage 
-- much more forested today then it was when first built




*The pictures above are al ones that I took while on the field trip to Falling Water*


1 comment: