Monday, April 18, 2011

Extra Credit Assignment

Being Formally Trained and Having an Educational Background
VS.
Learning On Your Own From Experience

After comparing and contrasting the two of these very different points I learned many good and bad things about each one.  If I had to chose out of these two which would be best I would have to say that having an education is best without a doubt.  Although you do not have to have one to be a good designer, I still think it is necessary.  It would not be very fair for someone to have not gone to college and someone who had to be doing the same exact thing.  One of the two people had to put some much more time and effort into what they were doing and they got so much more experience.  I however do think that an individual can be really good at designing things and have an eye for it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't go to school.  You can only grow and get better each day by learning more and more and getting that actual hands on experience.  I know for me I have already learned a countless number of things this year alone in the interior architecture program.  All of this is stuff I would of never been able to learn if I wasn't in school.  Schooling really teaches you to think outside of the box and it pushes you far out of your comfort zone in a good way.  Another good aspect of getting an education is that if you were going to apply for a job and someone without an education was also then you would have a much better chance at getting the job.  Not only would you have a degree and certification and plenty of teaching and hands on experience, but you would also be so much more knowledgable when it comes to talking to the person who is interviewing you.  Interior design is a subject that you can't learn by just reading some book and taking notes, you have to actually learn from experience and doing hands on activities.  Such as drawing and drafting.  I do believe that taking a holistic approach to design is a good thing, because everything usually does have to depend on the other and wok together to create the whole thing.  This is why I continue to believe that having an education background in design is going to set you up for a much better and future in the work force.

No comments:

Post a Comment