Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog Post 11

When I first read the prompt for this blog post the first thing that instantly came to my mind was Falling Water.  Having just visited this house on a field trip, I knew it would be the best thing to write this blog post about while it is fresh in my mind.  I think this house is such a great example of modernism in architecture and design because of all of the features the house has.  Because it was built in 1935, during that time no houses anywhere looked like this one.  They were all similar looking and had very old fashioned and non modern features.  This falling water house however was quite the opposite.  It was made entirely of stone like materials, making it look much different from other houses at this time.  It was also built literally on top of a river, where most houses would just be built next to a river.  On the inside there was not the traditional style layout of a house, all of the rooms were scattered everywhere.  I feel as though if I lived in this house I would get lost in it.  There are so many rooms in so many different places, along with tons of balconies everywhere.  The rooms all seemed so modern to me because of all the little details that they possessed.  The windows and doors were all very slender and the lines in them were not the same as that of a traditional pane window.  The furniture inside was very simple compared to the styles popular at this time.  This is similar to furniture today, it is much more simple with just basic elements and not much decoration involved on it.  The most modern room in this entire house to me was the bathrooms.  If I just saw a picture of them online I would assume they were from a new house from today.  They just seemed so up to date with how things are now.  The modern aspects of this house truly show how great of a designer Frank Lloyd Wright was.  He was thinking way ahead of him time, it's almost as if he knew that this type of house would be in style almost a hundred years later.  He worked so hard to be modern so that all of his work would stand out and be thought of as different and brilliant.




*all of the above pictures are ones that I took myself while visiting Falling Water for the field trip*

No comments:

Post a Comment