Monday, February 28, 2011

Blog Post 7

In my opinion to have an architecture of happiness that means to be in a place, space, or structure where you feel happy and comfortable.  It many cases it is different for each individual.  Where one person may feel happy another may feel the complete opposite so it all depends.


The happy place on campus that I explored was the meditation room located in the Elliot University Center.  As you enter the room before the actual room there is a piece of artwork on the wall that is blue with lots of holes all in it.  This piece makes you begin to have a sense of calmness and it prepares you for the room.  Inside the room there is a large circle in the room made of wood.  Since the rest of the floor is made of tan carpet this circle is really emphasized and stands out in contrast with the other floor areas.  Although the circle is technically not in the center of the room but it is in the middle of the four windows along one wall.  The next thing that I noticed in this room was the several walls on the right side by the windows.  These are made of glass like structure with a see through like appearance.  I think these are rather appealing in appearance and add to the room.  They allow light to pass through them to still light the rest of the room.  There is a beach like area with sand, rocks, and other nature like items.  This ultimately made me feel as though I was in a calm and peaceful area much like that of the beach.  This is a great feature to have in the room to add to the sense it is trying to give off.  The room is very clutter free making it feel very nice and not chaotic.  The light in the room is very dim but the sunlight coming from the windows mixed with that creates a great feel.  



The space that I chose as my happy space was the garden/ sitting area behind the EUC.  This has always been my favorite space on campus ever since the first time I came to it before I even was a student at UNCG.  My favorite aspect of it is the fountain that is somewhat in the middle of the space.  It gives me a real calm feeling and I love to hear the sound of water that it creates.  The area is guarded with the three surrounding walls making it feel as though you are somewhere more secluded than you actually are.  Each table with chairs is sitting on a square with various color stones and divided by grass.  This shows that each one is separate from the rest.  On the surrounding walls there are nothing but lots of doors and windows.  I also noticed how there is several trees around but there is one large tree that over powers them all.  




1 comment:

  1. Good descriptions and inferences though it would have been nice if your incorporated the DeBotten reading

    ReplyDelete